Monday 19 November 2007

If I'm corrupt..

19.2.96

on the nature of political power(Imagine this person as a newly fledged MP, who moves on rapidly)

I enter this hall to the greater good
my oath is taken
Silence falls on me but soon - as any debutante -
I make a maiden speech
Good or bad, the Order Papers wave
ignoring every word
each fluff and nervous tick and stutter
They lead me into cliques

I fit, a body claimed, a vote in the Division
new-boy-nervous
Speeches which I make are vetted, by masters
who whip me into line
Policies I query, leave a slope of ice before which
I sit gazing

Moving up includes unpalatable facts accepted
I gag - and swallow
Responsibilities awarded by masters of corruption
or wiser men more generous
lead me into murky water, seething in ooze and lies
or stagnant pools
Sometimes I leap, rock to slippery rock, falling in
before the bank is gained

My speeches hit the page clamouring
in altered meaning
I trade one imperfect phrase of yours for one
unwise response of mine
In the trade-off factories are closed forever
fishing nets destroyed

I hide the evidence, they're certain that I have
- and lie abroad
I face their grand exposure of my wrongs
- and lie at home

If no answer comes, no blame is possible to shift
I touch the wall
Back against its roughened granite block
fingers raw
picking my escape. As baying Press advance
I turn

Your evidence, in spite of perfect proof
is wrong my red eyes stare
Should it prove correct and I a liar
I will state

You do not understand the power you vest in me
and furthermore
my clique will still support my strong position
I'll not resign

They will echo, echo, echo still with me
If I'm corrupt
so would they in their long corruption be
They will echo every word I state
If I'm corrupt..and you have proof
..SO WHAT!

copyright 1996 Charlotte Peters Rock

Main site
Poetry site
Song site
Child Poems site

No comments: